Galen Emanuele, creator of the Shift Yes movement, was the keynote speaker at the 2018 Association of Educational Service Districts (AESD) Conference. His dynamic and interactive presentation focused on building a culture of positivity in the work place. His message provided actionable tools to develop skillful communication, leadership presence and emotional intelligence to support team performance and engagement. More importantly, the information provided was transferable to all interactions including those with our kids, friends, spouses, etc.
There is no question, this is a very difficult and challenging time. The COVID-19 pandemic has brought worry and uncertainty in all aspects of life. It is normal to feel discouraged and frustrated. This is also a pivotal moment when many of us are struggling to decide just what kind of attitude we are going to exhibit on a day-to-day basis. Galen’s basic principles have been recorded in the “Yes, And” Manifesto he created and offers for free on his website. The 5 key components needed to create a positive culture at work and home are very appropriate tools that can easily be applied to our lives today. They are summarized below:
- We Say Yes–We strive to enthusiastically say yes to one another, our clients, and the people we do business with.
- We are Present & Listen–We are present, focused, and attentive in our communications.
- We Make Each Other Look Good–We invest in the success of those around us and celebrate their achievements.
- We Embrace Change & Failure–We take full responsibility to do our absolute best in any situation and let that guide our outcomes.
- We Choose Positivity–Our language and contributions to one another come from a positive place.
If you are struggling to maintain a positive and hopeful attitude, as many of us are, you may want to visit Galen’s website to read the “Yes, And” Manifesto in its entirety and for additional resources and information about how to Shift Yes.